Buckle Motors Pty Ltd., was established in 1927 by William G Buckle with showrooms at 127 William Street, Sydney, starting with Triumph and Talbot franchises for NSW
This company subsequently gained N.S.W. franchises for Armstrong-Siddeley and De Soto (Chrysler Corp.) vehicles. In 1949 Citroen was added to the group.
In 1954, W F Buckle (Bill Buckle Snr.) having been involved in various forms of motor sport in Australia and the UK, began design and construction of a fibreglass-bodied sports car using Ford Zephyr components and named Buckle 2.5 Coupe. These cars held every hill climb and lap record for G.T. class at circuits on the East coast, and twenty four were produced.
In 1958, Bill Buckle Snr. went to Dingolfing in Bavaria to convince Hans Glas that we could produce fibreglass bodies for Goggomobil cars, and obtained the rights for Australia. About 5000 cars were assembled from the German mechanical parts, with various style bodies, including the Dart, a light sports car, designed by Bill Buckle Snr.
During this time, the Company also distributed Borgward, Goliath, Lloyd-Hartnett, Hillman and Humber vehicles.
In 1961, the Company was bought by Hong Kong interests, and Bill Buckle Snr. formed Bill Buckle Autos Pty Ltd., trading in used cars on Parramatta Road. In 1963, the Company purchased a L.H.D. Chevrolet Corvette and converted it to R.H.D., which led to the formation of Bill Buckle Auto Conversions with premises in Orchard Road, Brookvale.
This Company flourished, converting Buicks, Cadillacs, Lincolns, Fords (Mustangs Thunderbirds), Corvettes, Firebirds, Camaros etc, until about 1967.
Meanwhile in 1963 a new showroom was occupied on the corner of Pittwater Road and West Street, selling used sports cars and US imports which had been converted.
In October 1964, the Toyota franchise was gained, selling Tiara, Crown and 700. Auto Sun and Air Pty Ltd., specialising in Sunroof and Air Conditioning fitting began in 1971 and Bill Buckle Snr. designed the glass “Sportsroof”, which was awarded an Australian Design Award and was licenced and patented in several markets overseas.
The Toyota brand gained in popularity from a monthly volume of 5-10 in 1964 to around 150 by 1975. Bigger and better display and service facilities and various properties in Brookvale were utilised, and a facility was established at Mona Vale for Northern Peninsula customers in 1974.
A new showroom for Toyota was built in 1992 on the current site at the corner of Pittwater and Harbord Roads, Brookvale.
In 1994 the Company acquired the Subaru franchise. Bill Buckle Subaru is one of the top volume Subaru dealers in Australia and the brand new Subaru Showroom was completed in June 2005.
In August 1996 our Service complex was built in Harbord Rd, Brookvale with a huge, 35 hoist workshop with customer friendly facilities and amenities.
In 2004 the Volkswagen franchise was added to the Bill Buckle Group. This brand has achieved spectacular growth since then, and the company opened its new-look premises in February 2007, on the corner of Federal Pde and Pittwater Rds.
In March 2008, The Bill Buckle Group was acquired by A P Eagers Limited, one of the fastest growing and most dynamic motor dealership groups in Australia. A P Eagers was established in 1913 and currently owns 60 motor vehicle dealerships across Australia. The Buckle family are excited about becoming part of this professional group and the benefits and rewards such a partnership will offer to their customers and staff.
Most recently, in May 2013, Bill Buckle opened the Land Rover and Jaguar franchise's (currently trading as Northern Beaches Land Rover, Jaguar).
Buckle up…………It's a great feeling!